Friends of the Eastern Promenade (FoEP) seeks an Executive Director to help us support and enhance one of Portland’s world-class parks, the Olmsted-designed Eastern Promenade. Founded in 2006, Friends of the Eastern Promenade is a nonprofit community organization committed to park stewardship. Our mission is to preserve the park’s significant historic public landscape, protect its environmental integrity, and enhance its recreational use. The position builds on a decade of organizational accomplishments and growth, including the restoration of Fort Allen Park, our popular summer concert series, annual Hidden Garden Tour, and new interpretative signage.
The Executive Director is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Friends of the Eastern Promenade. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the ED works collaboratively with the Board to ensure that the organization is accomplishing its mission and meeting its financial goals. The ED serves as the public face of FoEP, acting as liaison to the City of Portland, related nonprofits, donors, volunteers, business partners, and other stakeholders. The ED manages a part-time assistant and independent contractors as needed. The ED will work part-time, 21-25/hours week, from a home office or equivalent.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● Support committee efforts including management of fundraising campaigns and donor engagement, event management, development of capital projects, and implementation of communications across social media, website, email newsletters, and other news media that expand awareness, engage the public, and attract new donors.
● Act as an advocate for the Eastern Promenade, lobbying for funds, developing partnerships that help fulfill the organization’s mission, and promoting the work of FoEP.
● Develop a yearly operational plan and provide the Board with reports that document progress toward goals and objectives throughout the year. Manage operating and capital budgets, tracking budget against expenses.
Qualifications & Skills:
● Bachelor’s degree and five years’ experience in the nonprofit sector.
● Self-starter, able to work collaboratively with staff, board members, volunteers, and other supporters.
● Experience managing staff/contractors, including tasking, reviewing time, and evaluations.
● Basic proficiency with office productivity software (Word, Excel, etc.); familiarity with email marketing software, content management systems such as WordPress, donor management software, and social media platforms.
● Creative problem solver, demonstrated ability to work autonomously with good organizational skills, ability to multitask, attention to detail.
● Strong interpersonal skills and oral and written communication skills.
● Must exercise functional latitude (“flexibility”) to accomplish assigned work and responsibilities. Ability to work weekends and evenings for meetings and events as needed.
● Sincere interest in public parks, landscapes, and recreation. Demonstrated familiarity with the Eastern Promenade a strong plus.
How To Apply
Please submit a PDF containing your cover letter, resume, and the contact information of 3 references to the Search Committee at email@example.com by December 15. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Start Date: February/March 2018